3527 Redwood Ave
Victoria, B.C., Canada
Phone: (250) 595-5998
My primary area of interest is Linux embedded development, with an emphasis on websocket GUI support.
For details, please see the following pages:
- Origins of my Linux background: Wikipedia
- Quester Tangent, Sr Embedded Developer, Apr 2012-2017
- Develop embedded Linux distribution to run on
the Freescale i.MX53 ARM as part of a train control and monitoring system.
- Develop/integrate low level Linux device drivers for PWM, Wifi, GPIO, touchscreen, etc.
- Develop applications to collect, concentrate and
relay data collected from train devices using C/C++.
- Embedded device user interface development using websockets.
- PDQ Interfaces, Computer Consultant, Oct 2003-Present
Provide computer consulting and research services.
- Quester Tangent:
Contract work: see above
- Itron Inc:
Project to develop a wireless embedded Linux device (the Itron CCU) for use by utility providers of power, gas and water.
The work involved developing a SSL-web standalone application using C and Tcl to capture
meter readings, in a store and forward fashion. High reliability requirements included an MTBF of 20 years.
The device application and OS were managed via rpm, including support for automatic download and (re)install of the
Linux OS via a firmware bootstrap application.
- Covigo Inc:
Covigo (a Silicon Valley firm) contracted enhancing
Browsex (my open source Web Browser)
to support record and parametrized-playback
of web content.
Web software support was required for client and server modes,
on both Windows and Unix.
The target market was cellular and wireless devices.
- Motorola and HWACI:
Enhancement of Sqlite for use in Motorola cell phones.
- Government Canada:
Co-sponsered development of GUI/Tk for cross platform Linux/Windows application development.
- Camosun College:
Implement redundant LDAP servers and develop a PHP frontend to provide a directory of campus staff.
- ABE Books:
Initial installation of the ABE Redhat Linux servers for use in an Oracle online book-auction web site.
- Gentoo Systems:
System administration backup support.
- Sun Microsystems:
Technical Support Engineer for the Sun Victoria Office.
- B.C. Ministry of Environment:
Provide Systems administration for HP-UX.
Implement kerberos single sign-on for HP-UX/Windows.
Automatic sync of Oracle DB passwords.
Support Legato backups, system problem determination, remediation and
refinement of system support environment (system
monitoring scripts and general system tuning).
- B.C. Government, Open Systems Group, Senior Systems Administrator, 1993-1999
The Open Systems Group provides facilities maintenance for over 100 Unix
servers within the BC Government. This entailed system administration, Oracle DBA
and application support. My two primary projects were:
- The PharmaNet system which links all pharmacies in B.C. to a central server runs
on a AIX HA Oracle cluster.
This 7x24 system was legislated by law to tracks all prescriptions issued within B.C. by pharmacists.
I provided system integration, administration and DBA functions during the projects inception and
- CAS is the B.C. governments Corporate Accounting System
re-engineered from the mainframe (VM Walker) to Unix (Solaris with Oracle Financials).
- initial system installation, configuration and deployment
- system installation, configuration and upgrades
- coordination of production and disaster sites
- Testing and verification of node and/or site failout and recovery
- system and network security, integrity and performance
- OS problem determination, vendor escalation and application of fixes
- development of in-house database backup.
- database roll forward recovery, both local and at remote disaster site
- database installation, layout, updates and maintenance.
- deployment of an ADSM file-system backup server
- web server support (netscape communication server, websphere and apache)
- application software installation and upgrade
- implement kerberos user authentication system
- client file and print services (samba)
- implement an SSL web payment authorization system
- generally provide unix expertise
- BCSC GEMS Group , Analyst, 1991-1993
In the GEMS group, setup the first MS and CC Mail gateways to GEMS
(ENV and FIN) and designed directory load/exchange system DDS.
VAX SMTP and FAX gateway. Evaluation of Digital Unix workstation technology.
Participant of the working group selecting the DNS name .GOV.BC.CA
and government directory naming standards.
- BCSC DNET Group , Analyst, 1990-1991
In the DNET Network Group, designed and implemented an X25 network monitor
written in C++ under DOS. This was later ported to SunOS and X.
The system was then used to monitor all X25 switches and pads in the BC government.
Additional duties included data collection, and analysis, and the
installation of SunNet Manager to monitor SPAN IP and SNMP devices.
- BCSC Voice Group, Analyst, 1989
Collection and analysis of BC Government telephone network
usage patterns to identify costs and potential savings within the BC Telephone rate
structure. Environments include TSO SAS, TPX, Dynaplan, and direct interfacing with switches.
- COOP Workterms: 1986-1989
- Microtel Pacific Research: Telephone network-manager development.
- Bell Northern Research: ISDN telephone-switch code development.
- Bell Northern Research: ASIC control software development.
- Dept Nat Defense/Royal Roads: C Development of voice synthesis software.
- IBM Canada: Computer operator and SQL/REXX programming.
- Linux Servers, 1993-present
Have continuously supported up to 10 internal Linux servers for 18 years (SLS, Redhat, Suse, Ubuntu).
Tools & Languages:
- Languages: C, C++.
- Protocols: TCP (Http, Ftp, Nfs, SSL/Scp, etc), X25, Serial
- Support: Make/cpp/autoconf, tar/zip, cvs/svn, rpmbuild, apt-get/dpkg.
- MSc Computer Science: 1996, University of Victoria.
Decomposing The Linux Kernel Into Dynamically Loadable Modules.
- BSc Computer Science: 1989, University of Victoria.
- OS Development: Early contributor to the Linux kernel, including: shared libraries, pseudo-ttys, the select call, virtual consoles.
- Linux Distribution: Created the first comprehensive Linux distribution: SLS.
- Tcl: line number support for debugging Tcl, Ledger Accounting, Tkhtml and BrowseX.
- BLT: enhanced version of the BLT toolkit for cross Linux/Windows development.
- PDQI: PDQI (pdqi.com)is an abstract gui layout and development tool for use with Tcl.
Available upon request.